Areas of Treatment:
- Professor of Ophthalmology
Mark S. Humayun, M.D., Ph.D. received his B.S. from Georgetown University in 1984, his M.D. from Duke University in 1989, and his Ph.D. from the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill in 1994. He completed his ophthalmology residency at Duke Eye Center and fellowships in both vitreoretinal and retinovascular surgery at Johns Hopkins Hospital. He stayed on as faculty at Johns Hopkins where he rose to the rank of associate professor before moving to USC in 2001.
Dr. Humayun’s research projects focus on the treatment of the most debilitating and challenging eye diseases through advanced engineering. Leading a team of more than 30 faculty and 200 students from 15 different institutes, Dr. Humayun is focused on developing therapies for 1) retinal degenerations such as retinitis pigmentosa, 2) macular degenerations such as age-related macular degeneration, 3) retinovascular diseases such as vein occlusions, 4) diabetic retinopathy, as well as 5) glaucoma.
He has been voted as one of the Best Doctors in America and has received numerous research awards. He is the director of the National Science Foundation BioMimetic MicroElectronic Systems Engineering Research Center, as well as the director of the Department of Energy Artificial Retina Project.
- Doctor of Medicine, Duke University Medical School / University of North Carolina
- Roanoke Memorial Hospital, 1990
- Duke Eye Center, 1990 - 1993
- Wilmer Ophthalmological Institute, 1994 - 1995
- American Board of Ophthalmology
Professional Society Memberships:
- American Ophthalmological Society
- The Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology
- American Society of Retinal Specialist
- Richard S. Ross Clinical Scientist Award, 1997 - 1998
- William and Mary Grieve Scholar's Award, 1997 - 1998
- Jules Stein Living tribute Award, 2002
- Senior Honor Award of the Am. Soc. Retina Specialists, 2004
- Strathmore's Who's Who Award, 2005 - 2006
- Best Doctors of America Award, 2005, 2006, 2007
- Innovator of the Year award, R&D magazine, 2005
- 2011 list of America's Top Doctors, compiled by Castle Connolly Medical Ltd.